As a resident of Salt Lake City and witness to its environmental threats and challenges, I’m passionate about helping to protect the lake, the valley and the mountains that we call home.
This page is dedicated to some of the informational and practical resources I’ve found for the Salt Lake region specifically.
The Great Salt Lake (GSL)
- The Great Salt Lake Collaborative: A compilation of news stories, science presentations and legislative updates regarding the state of the Great Salt Lake
- Aerial view of the Great Salt Lake 1985 vs. 2022 (European Space Agency)
- Great Salt Lake Institute: An initiative out of Westminster College to get people connected to the GSL via research and education.
- A Biologist on Documenting the Great Salt Lake’s Collapse: A short (6 min) and haunting documentary with stunning visuals documenting the changing lake. Produced by RadioWest.org
- Great Salt Lake Hydro Mapper: An interactive website put out by the USGS which tracks water levels and salinity in the Great Salt Lake in real time!
- Utah Open Water Data: A page put out by the Utah Division of Natural Resources that records state water use for the municipal and agricultural sectors.
- Utah Division of Water Resources: Programs to Conserve Water
- Momentum Recycling: A zero waste company dedicated to helping Utahn’s reduce waste. They have done glass recycling and recently piloted residential food scrap collection as well. Check them out!
- Hello! Bulk Markets: Local refillery. Bring your own containers and purchase anything from laundry soap to spices, bulk foods, olive oil and more. Local eggs and locally made treats are also available. Two locations in SLC.
- Animalia: This is another local shop with some bulk refill options for self care and beauty items. They also feature independent local products.
- WinCo Foods: For those looking to buy in bulk and also save a penny or two, Winco actually has an outstanding bulk section. While they have plastic bags available, bring your own produce/bulk bags to minimize waste. Multiple locations regionally.